Arriving in Pavia
From the airport.
Once you are off the plane and you are trying to reach Pavia you may decide to take a bus or a train.
Buy your ticket: For public transport usually you may find tickets at the newsagents. From the airports there are private companies connetting the ariport to the town and they usually sell tickets on board.
Validate your ticket: when you are using a bus, tram or train in Italy, you have to validate your ticket: basically a little box machine will stamp the day and time on your ticket. If you take a bus or a tram, you usually can buy and validate you ticket ticket on board; if you take a train look for a yellow little box on the platform or train station and validate your ticket. If you forget just walk along the train until you find the conductor and let them know you have forgotten and you won’t get into trouble.
From Milan train stations.
As you probably already find out Milan has many train stations.
The Viaggia Treno website (http://www.viaggiatreno.it/viaggiatrenonew/index.jsp) is traslated in many languages and you can use the station search to find out which train are living from each station and all the stops they are going to do. This is useful when you take trains whose final stop is not Pavia.
You can buy tickets on the train company website (Trenitalia): if you buy the ticket through this website you do not have to validate it. Read the website to find out more.
There are three kind of train you can use to get to Pavia: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en
- S13: part of the Milan subway service, it takes about 30 minutes to get to Pavia from Milano Rogoredo; Pavia is the final stop
- Regional or Cross Regions Trains (they usually have an R before their identification number): they take 15 minuter to get from Milan to Pavia, but Pavia is not their final stop. Remember to get off.
- Long Distance train: Italy has a very innovative and rich system of long distance trains. The ones that stops in Milan and Pavia are called Intercity. Please note that the ticket costs more if you decide to take this train (double the price of S13 and Regioanls) but you will be assigned a seat and they usually have priority on other trains.
Station where you can find train going to Pavia are:
- Milano Rogoredo: Train S13 going to Pavia (Final Stop) every 30 minutes; Trains going to Alessandria/Piacenza/Albenga/Genova may stop in Milano Rogoredo and Pavia, check the board at the station or the Viaggia Treno website; Long distance train (Intercity) may stop in Pavia too check the Viaggiatreno website
- Milano Lambrate: Trains going to Alessandria/Piacenza/Albenga/Genova may stop in Milano Rogoredo and Pavia, check the board at the station or the Viaggia Treno website; Long distance train (Intercity) may stop in Pavia too check the Viaggiatreno website
- Milano Greco Pirelli: Regional train going to Stradella (final stop) stops in Pavia but it is not very frequent.
- Milano Centrale: trains going to Alessandria/Piacenza/Albenga/Genova may stop in Milano Rogoredo and Pavia, check the board at the station or the Viaggia Treno website; Long distance train (Intercity) may stop in Pavia too check the Viaggiatreno website
Once you arrive in Pavia you can reach your accomodation by taxi or bus. Usually you may find taxis parked in front of the station.
Here are the phone numbers to call a taxi:
tel. +39 0382.576576 – CTP (Viale Montegrappa, 15)
tel.+39 0382.27439 – Railway Station
tel. +39 0382.29190 – Piazza della Vittoria
tel. +39 0382.526288 – Piazzale Golgi
tel.+39 0382.577733 – Radio Taxi
Here there is the website of the bus company: Autoguidovie Pavia
There is also an app called Autoguidovie Pavia that you may use to buy your tickets. Please note that it is in Italian.
The website is only in italian, try to use your browser translation system. Here there is a map of the bus tracks that may help getting you aroung: Bus Map. On the second page there is a list of all our bus line.
Bus line n°3 and n°7 connect the train and bus station with the city center.